Many people find going to the dentist an anxiety-inducing experience; however, it is something that everyone must do. Being able to face your fears and receive any dental treatment you may require will help you maintain excellent oral health.
Sedation dentistry can provide patients with a stress-free experience during a variety of dental procedures.
What is Sedation Dentistry, And How Does It Work?
Sedation dentistry is when sedatives are used during your visit to your dental care provider so that you don’t have to be awake. Minimal, moderate, and deep sedation are the three types of sedation that can be used. Sedation is available for various procedures, including routine dental cleanings, X-rays, root canals, tooth extractions, and more.
Local anesthesia, in which an injection or gel is applied directly to an area of the mouth to numb it, is not the same as sedation dentistry.
Sedation Dentistry in Menlo Park, California
Sedation at Menlo Park Smiles can be given to a patient in three ways:
- Inhaled Minimal Sedation (using nitrous oxide) – The patient is given a mixture of nitrous oxide (also known as “laughing gas”) and oxygen through a mask placed over their nose. The gas can be inhaled. Your dentist will carefully administer and control the amount of sedation you receive.
- Oral Sedation – Oral sedation is when your dentist gives you a sedative to take before your procedure, usually an hour before it occurs. This type of sedation will make you sleepy, and your dentist will determine the dosage and whether you require minimal or moderate sedation.
- Intravenous Moderate Sedation (IV) – A sedative will be injected directly into your vein, providing a deeper level of sedation than the other two options.
Why Choose Sedation Dentistry in Menlo Park, California
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective method that dentists use to put their patients at ease and make their visits to the dentist go more smoothly and calmly.
If you’re worried about going to the dentist, don’t be afraid to tell them about your fears and let them explain how they can help you during your visit to benefit from;
- A dental experience that is stress and worry-free.
- A positive visit that may encourage you to return.
- Advice on the various options available to those seeking sedation.
- Reduced anxiety levels during the procedure.
Can Anyone Undergo Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry in Menlo Park, California, isn’t just for people with dental phobia; many different people can choose to be sedated for their dental work, including:
Those who cannot sit still in the dentist chair, such as children, people who have teeth or gums sensitive to pain or contact/touch, anyone with a low pain threshold, and people who need to undergo a lot of dental work at once.
If you want to discuss if sedation dentistry at Menlo Park Smiles, California, is right for you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our highly qualified team who are on hand to assist you. We can help make your dental visit stress-free by offering various options to put you at ease for all your dental treatments.